Business Editing Services
As a former editorial director and a trade publication veteran, I know that finding that “perfect” freelancer for a given editorial project can be a challenge no matter how many names you have on file.
As my résumé shows, I have more than 25 years of professional writing experience covering many avenues, including three and a half years as the top editor at a business magazine. My background is heavy on the business-to-business focus, yet I’ve always written from a magazine perspective — the news with style, as I consider it. That approach helped me win a Writer’s Digest national feature article contest, among numerous other awards.
It also means I don’t confuse a consumer slant with a B2B need.
You’ll find I’m a stickler for treating projects with respect, turning in assignments on deadline and working to massage copy any way you see fit.
Website and newsletter clients include International Society for Technology in Education, California Association of School Business Officials, School Tech Supplies, Paul McDougal Marketing. Also wrote a flurry of copy for Living Social deals.
Owned Indianapolis on the Cheap consumer website.
Repeat magazine clients included Pages Magazine (romance columnist), Independent Banker, Credit Union Business, Beauty Store Business, Day Spa, Bankrate, Retail Customer Experience, Club and Resort Business, Pool & Spa News, Fast Casual, QSR Report, Instore Shopper, Talent Management, College Planning & Management, University Business, District Administration, Administrator, EdTech, Cable in the Classroom, Society of National Association Publications, Supermarket News, Mobility Management, Faircount International, Simply Home, Auto Executive, American Lawyer, American Express, AFPD Food and Petroleum Dealers, Registered Rep, Horsesmouth, Human Resource Executive, Government Executive, Aquatics International, Loyalty 360, and Unique Opportunities.
Ghostwriter for Delta Tau Delta fraternity history book.
Blogs: Restaurants with a Twist: restaurants.uptake.com/blog
Social Media Management/Marketing
Develop and coordinate social media strategies that led to sales for companies such as Knowledgewebb, Manta Ray Inn, Tumbleweed restaurant, and 4x4Parts.com. Organize special events for local retailers, conduct webinars and stay on top of general communications for my clients.
Responsible for editorial direction of two business-to-business monthly publications in Indianapolis and Columbus, Ohio. Wrote majority of the profiles and investigative pieces for Indianapolis. Managed department of two to ensure we met all editorial and production deadlines with an error-free product. Responsible for department budget.
Indianapolis Weekly Update
Edited articles for clarity and legality while directing staff of six to produce a weekly trends newspaper. Wrote full-length feature articles, as well as a regular lifestyle/fashion column. In charge of generating ideas for features.
Additional journalism jobs include public relations positions at Forum Group, Inc. (retirement community newsletters), Medi-Span (pharmaceutical publishing) and travel agencies.
• Regional award from the American Society of Business Publication Editors for best Special Section, 2004.
• Three honorable mention placements in CNW/FFWA national writing competition for feature articles, 2003.
• Won Panhandle Professional Writers’ magazine feature contest, June 2001.
• Finalist in the American Beauty Association’s “best trade magazine article” category 2001.
• Award of Excellence winner in Feature/Editorial Writing category at the International Association of Business Communications/Indianapolis, 2000.
• Third place in Indiana Chapter of Society of Professional Journalists’ Best Feature category, 2000.
• Won Writer’s Digest national feature article contest in 1998; placed second in same contest in 1997; placed two entries in top half in 1999.
• One of four national finalists in 1998 EdPress “how-to” article category.
Indiana University Bloomington, IN
Major: Journalism (broadcasting concentration)/Minor: English